Tuesday, October 27, 2015

A Long Walk in the Park - Pinetree trail



Instead of being holed up in KL and venting out about Jerebu, we are breathing in the fresh air while strolling through the rainforest trails paths at Pinetree trail Fraser Hill, Pahang.
This cooling retreat destination nestled quietly at 1524 meters above sea level among the Titiwangsa mountain range and took about two hours drive from Kuala Lumpur. It is one of the most enchanting Highlands in Malaysia.

Our trip to Fraser Hill started three weeks after our hike to Mount Nuang, Hulu Langat recently. This time we choose to trek Pinetree trail at Fraser Hill, a peaceful retreat destination locally known as Bukit Fraser. The highland was named after Louis James Fraser who set up a tin-ore trading post in 1890.
There are other trails too and each told a different story, but Pinetrail has the most challenging trail and offers a different perspective to adventures seeker. It takes 3 to 4 hours trekking to get to the peak (depending on your pace and how many times you stop). Many said it is the most difficult trail among the eight trails offered in Fraser Hill, probably because it has a long trail.

“I plan to hike Pinetrail soon”, Linda told me, whom I get to know from another friend during my early hiking. She started to gathers the participants. Without a second thought, I jumped and say yes! I’m in! my eyes sparkled.

Finally, six of us, Khairul, Linda, Zamri, Intan, Liza and me agreed to do a day pack to Pinetree trail.
We started our journey from Kuala Lumpur on 24th October at 5.30am and stop by at R&R Rawang to regroup and have breakfast.
Leaving Kuala Lumpur at that hour, our view was obscured by the early morning fog mixed with the haze that has engulfed the environment for the past few weeks.
As soon as we finished our breakfast, without wasting time we proceed our way to Fraser hill via Kuala Kubu Baru, Khairul jumped in to our car and take over the driving seat.
Reaching the Fraser hill we registered ourselves at the nearby polis station and informed the officer on our plan to hike the Pinetrail.




Before heading to the trail head, we stopped for awhile at the clock tower to take a few pictures, there were other hikers taking a group photo too, we exchanged a smile and greet each other.

After we parked the cars and all gears up, we walk steadily towards the entrance with a huge signboard which located about 20 metres from the TM Bungalow. There, we bumped again into the same group which we met at the clock tower earlier. We waited for our turn to enter the gate and took another group picture before we step into the trail at around 9.15am.
The freshness of air greeted our faces as if a signed of welcoming us, all eyes sparkled excitedly.


I’ve been here twice and still enjoying the trail as the first time, it is one of my favorite trails. I love the cool fresh air on my face while strolling down the trail.
We strolled in slowly like walking in the park through a few set of stairs. A few minutes after we walk our eyes served with the view of hill and valley thought it wasn’t that clear due to the haze.
There are also several huts at the beginning or the trail with the information on plants. As we walk deeper and began to explore the trail a new sense of wonder and appreciation enveloped us.




The winding trail with the distance of 5.5 KM to the peak marked clearly; there is the time we had to crawl on top or under a few fallen trees. Along the way, we stumbled into growing moss, pitcher plants, kingdom of fungi and huge tree root.
We found special pleasure in leaving the city for a little-used back road. Walking atop logs and taking some nice pictures made us feel like little kids again.We were lucky to have Intan and Zamri who is expert in photographer and video. 




After almost two hours walking down the trail we passed by a beautiful tree roots formation resembled a canopy, like a little kid in a candy store Liza, Linda and me crawl on top of it while Intan was trying to choreograph us for some nice pictures. We took several nice pictures before we continue walking.

There was also a small campsite area and water point with a clear signboard available an hour from the peak.
My left knee suddenly feels pain and I had to walk slowly and let the rest of us walk first while Zamri stays behind me.
We finally made our way to the famous vertical rocky section where we had to use the fixed rope to climb up with a steady foothold required. Linda, Khairul, Intan and Liza were waiting at the bottom of rope section.
I look up and remembered my first time on this rope section, I wasn’t able to go up alone.. lucky one of our hiking buddy always surprised us with his gears. I smiled and reach for the rope.




We finally standing on the summit at around 12.45pm and joined other hikers in the solitude of nature. We are infiltrated with a sense of satisfaction.
The peak is surrounded by beautiful mossy trees, the weather felt great although the view wasn’t that clear due to haze. We decided not to proceed to another peak known as twin peak but took out our food supply and filled our hungry tummy. I recommend you to bring enough drinking water.



After resting and enjoying the cool air at the top of the peak, we took our group pictures and decent at 2.30pm as we decided earlier.
Walking back in a slow pace with the pain in my knee made the trail seemed never to end. I gathered all my strength and tried to forget my pain, Linda was patiently watching my back while we let others walking in front of us. I keep talking to her to distract my pain. The sounds of leaves and the feeling of wind blowing my face helped easy my pain too. In my mind, I said to my self “Oh I want to come back here again... I love the trail”..
We finally reach the entrance at 7.30pm, exhausted, hungry and in pain… all I can think is a bowl of soup with rice!


Picture credit to: Intan Baizura & Zamri Mustafa








No comments:

Post a Comment